Databases for Journal Statistics (Carmel Thompson) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 12 Jun 1997 02:23 UTC

Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 16:31:19 -0700
From: "C.D. Thompson" <cathompson@UPS.EDU>
Subject: Databases for Journal Statistics

Greetings,

We are interested to know what database systems libraries are using to keep
journal statistics. Do you have any recommendations of databases for statistics?
Is any library using MSAccess for this purpose, and would you recommend it?

Our library does not circulate journals. And, our journal collection is not
barcoded.  We have the work study students keep tallies on each journal
before it is reshelved. We do this for the different formats - current
issues, bound periodicals and microform. Then we enter this information into
Paradox, which is the database we have been using for this purpose since
1993. This information is used mostly to persuade departments to drop seldom
used (often zero use) journals.

I will summarize responses for the list.

Thank You,
Carmel Thompson
cathompson@ups.edu
University of Puget Sound