Re: Student Employment Testing (2 messages) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 12 Jun 1997 02:32 UTC

2 messages:

1)----

Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 09:06:09 -0500
From: Andrew Leonhart <aleonhar@MNU.EDU>
Subject: Re: Student Employment Testing (Jeanette Skwor)

I have often thought of a scene from the movie "Kung Fu".
When a student comes to me and wants a job I WISH I could quietly start
putting books in order on a reshelving cart.  If they just stand and watch
me then I could turn and say, "Please go home."

What kind of test is there to measure a persons ability to see a job that
needs done, and to do it without having to be asked?

At 03:28 PM 6/10/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Does anyone else have such a test, or use one?  Others with thoughts on
>such a test, or what should be included on it?
"When I get a little money, I buy books;
and if any is left, I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus

Telephone (913) 782-3750 x 162  Fax (913) 791-3285  E-mail aleonhar@mnu.edu

MAILING LABEL:

Andrew Leonhart
Mabee Library
MidAmerica Nazarene University
2030 E. College Way
Olathe, KS 66062-1899

2)----

Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 12:40:56 -0400
From: Deborah Harrell <dharrell@WESTGA.EDU>

We have had much better luck with requesting a minimum GPA as well as
administering a simple typing test (if one can type on a IBM Selectric II
typewriter, they can use a computer), an alphabetizing test, and a
handwriting test (if their penmanship is so bad you can't read it, why
hire them).  You still might get a few "duds", but requesting a minimum GPA
of 3.0 culls those who aren't capable of working as well as attending
classes.

Debbie Harrell
Ingram Library, State University of West Georgia
phone: 770-836-6498
fax: 770-836-6626