Serials Module -- request for info (Jan Bowers) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 08 Jul 1997 15:47 UTC

Date: Tue, 08 Jul 1997 10:37:21 -0400
From: Janice Bowers <JBowers@NHDD.COM>
Subject: Serials Module Using Windows/How have you automated?

  We are a private law firm (7 offices) library with about 13,000
  titles (mostly serials) and we still are checking them in on kardex
  cards. We have the online catalog on the attorneys' desktops (EOSi
  GOPAC) through Windows while the cataloging/circulation modules are
  still in DOS. We are not planning to implement the serials module in
  this ILS due to problems with lack of future enhancements to the DOS
  product, difficulty in setting it up to begin with, and the firm's
  technology direction away from DOS products. The firm is on a
  wide-area Windows PC-based network. Also, to complicate it a little
  more, all the paying of bills in done here in Rochester but the
  receiving, checking-in, and routing of materials is done in each
  office, so we need a networked system. Is that enough background?

  I need help in finding a serials program which will allow us to
  replace the kardex and automate check-in and claim missing issues,
  produce routing slips for the issues or the tables of contents we
  route, track subscription information (so we know when something is
  expiring), and allow us to enter payment and invoice information so
  we have an way to track the cost of individual titles. Easy, right?
  ( ;>} )

  Answers to the following questions would be a huge help. Thank you
  for taking the time to respond to my plea for help.

  Are you using a serial module in an integrated or nonintegrated
  system? Is it Windows or DOS?

  Are you happy with it? What are its strengths/weaknesses?
  Would you choose it again?

  How much of this list is realistic to do (or do you do in your
  system): check-in, routing, subscription and payment tracking?

  Jan Bowers
  Information Services
  Nixon, Hargrave, Devans & Doyle LLP
  Rochester, NY