Newspaper Disposition (Donna Sue Yanney) Marcia Tuttle 30 Jul 1997 19:54 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 14:37:56 CDT
From: Donna Sue Yanney <DYANNEY@COLEMAN.PVAM.EDU>
Subject: Newspaper Disposition

My library retains newspaper issues for the current month and the
previous month for most titles.  At the end of a month we pull all
the old issues for recycling.  Many, many times we are approached by
students who want old newspapers so they can cut out articles (many
other students just cut articles out of the current collection, but
that's a different story).  My question is : do other libraries offer
newspapers, or magazines for that matter, that are no longer needed
in the collection to students for general mayhem?  Mine is a state
institution and I'm also unsure about state laws that regulate the
disposition of state property so responses from those of you in
Texas are most encouraged but all will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much,

Donna Sue Yanney
Assistant Periodicals Librarian
Prairie View A&M University
donna-yanney@tamu.edu
Phone: (409) 857-2756 FAX: (409) 857-2755