Re: Reply personally (9 messages) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 10 Jul 1997 18:39 UTC

9 messages:

1)_____

Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 10:22:55 -0400
From: WILLIAMN@LIB.ACS.SUNYNASSAU.EDU
Subject: Re: Reply personally (Jeanette Skwor)

Jeanette and all,
I agree.  I subscribed to the list because I am the only person in my library
involved with serials.  All of the discussion, if it has enough relevance to
be posted to this list, is potentially interesting.  Much of it is enlightening,and some items of discussion lead me to say, "Ah -- so I'm not the only one
with this question."  Last but not least, my delete key works just fine.

Nancy Williamson, Periodicals Librarian
Nassau Community College

2)-----

Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 17:25:02 +0000 (GMT)
From: LTWEDDLE@ACS.AUC.EUN.EG

I do agree.  We all got a bit alarmed, perhaps, when a (dare I
mention it?) G & B representative popped up in the course of a
discussion about that eminent publishing house and reminded us
to mind our ps and qs; then perhaps people are afraid of boring
us - but as you say, deletion is easy.  Let's have more replies
to the List!
Lesley Tweddle
American University in Cairo Library

3)_____

Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 09:25:54 -0600 (CST)
From: judy <JIRVIN@LATECH.EDU>

I agree with Jeanette.  I like to read the responses to these problems and
compare them to how we have handled things in similar situations.  Judy Irvin

JUDY IRVIN
HEAD, SERIALS DEPARTMENT          INTERNET:JIRVIN@LATECH.EDU
PRESCOTT MEMORIAL LIBRARY         PHONE:(318)257-3988
LOUISIANA TECH UNIVERSITY         FAX:(318)257-2447
RUSTON, LA  71272

4)_____

Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 08:16:33 -0700
From: Libby McLean <lmclean@SPOKPL.LIB.WA.US>

Jeanette, I agree. Questions, answers and solutions benefit everyone.
Thanks, Libby

At 08:02 AM 7/10/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Date: Wed, 09 Jul 1997 17:10:51 -0500
>From: Jeanette Skwor <SKWORJ@GBMS01.UWGB.EDU>
>Subject: Reply personally
>
>Is anyone else out there as troubled as I am about all the postings that
>say, "Please reply to me personally" and then offering to summarize to the
>list if interest calls for it?
>
>I *am* interesting in claiming, in missing issues, costs and usage, in all
>the various facets of what is, after all, my job, and if I'm not, it's a
>simple matter to delete upon seeing subject lines.  Meanwhile it takes
>extra time I don't have to respond to each person privately and say,
>let me know, please.
>
>It seems all we get, regularly, any more, are the job postings--which at
>this point are the one thing I am *not* really interested in.
>
>I would really be interested in hearing what everyone else thinks.  Respond
>to Serialst and I'll let you all read the replies first-hand, too.  ;-)
>
>Thanks--
>
>Jeanette Skwor
>Cofrin Library
>University of Wisconsin-Green Bay

Libby McLean                        Voice: (509)626-5324
Cataloging Librarian                Fax:   (509) 626-5367
Spokane Public Library              Internet: LMCLEAN@SPOKPL.LIB.WA.US

5)_____

Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 09:30:21 -0600
From: Mark Reineke <reinekem@STF.SK.CA>

Jeanette, thank you for raising this issue.  I agree with you.

Mark Reineke

6)_____

Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 10:23:20 -0500
From: Adele Krusz <akrusz@D.UMN.EDU>
Subject: Re: [SERIALST] Reply personally (Jeanette Skwor)

        I agree strongly with Jeanette Skwor about the recent trend toward
having responses sent directly to the person with the original question. I
am on this list to gather input on the many issues surrounding serials,
and I like to see people's responses without summarization. It means
having to look at more mail each day, but at least that mail will relate
to more than job openings.
        We do all have the option to ask for digests or message indexes
rather than getting messages as they are posted.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Adele Krusz                     akrusz@d.umn.edu
160 HSL, UMD Library            voice: 218/726-8104
10 University Drive             Fax:   218/726-6205
Duluth  MN  55812
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

7)_____

Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 11:28:00 -0400 (EDT)
From: Josephine.Williamson@MVS.UDEL.EDU
Subject: Reply personally (Jeanette Skwor

I agree completely with Jeanette.  The truth is out there -- and we can
handle it!

Josie Williamson
University of Delaware

8)_____

Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 17:39:20 +0200
From: Jean Pierre KAUFFMANN <jp.kauffmann@ESSCA.ASSO.FR>

To everyone or each of us !

I completely agree with Jeanette ! Bravo !

Jean-Pierre KAUFFMANN
Responsable Service information documentation
President de l'ACIEGE, Association des responsables
de centres d'information des Ecoles de gestion
ESSCA Ecole superieure des sciences commerciales d'Angers
Angers, Budapest, Cholet, Paris
SIDESSCA, BP 348, F-49003 ANGERS CEDEX 01, FRANCE
telephone : +33 (0)2 41 73 47 52
telecopie : +33 (0)2 41 73 47 89

9)_____

Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 13:29:24 -0600
From: Tanya Schwartz <Tanya_Schwartz@NBS.GOV>
Subject: Re: Reply personally

I agree with Jeanette, for a slightly different reason.  Serials and all
their lovely facets are one part of my job -- I'm the "junior partner" in a
two-person library.  Yes, we have a small, specialized collection, and most
of the specific titles I've seen discussed on this list don't affect us.  I
still follow this list, though, to pick up random bits of information on how
others handle these facets.  Since I *am* the Serials department (as well as
the Interlibrary Loan department, the Circulation department, the Photograph
Archives department -- shall I go on?), this list is a great way for me to
get informal contact with others who have some of the same responsibilities
I do.

Tanya Schwartz     <Tanya_Schwartz@nbs.gov>     (313)994-3331 x213
Library Technician, Van Oosten Library, US Geological Survey/BRD
Great Lakes Science Center, 1451 Green Rd, Ann Arbor MI 48105-2899
Opinions are my own, and are not official statements of GLSC,
USGS/BRD, or DOI.  (Enough acronyms for you?)