Re: Manuscript serial (Frieda Rosenberg) Marcia Tuttle 15 Jul 1997 13:55 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 17:44:07 +0600
From: Frieda Rosenberg <friedat@EMAIL.UNC.EDU>
To: SEREDIT@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: Re: Manuscript serial (Heinrich Kuhn)

In support of Dr. Kuhn's very well-expressed view: earlier this year I
also brought up this question on the list; the title of our longhand
"manuscript"  was "Annual report," the reports bore years as designations;
the author was a colonial administrator; there was presumably only one
original, sent to the home office.  Once it was microfilmed and
sent out to libraries as part of a collection of colonial annual reports
(some of them probably originally "published" in multiple copies), it too
now certainly was both a manuscript and a publication. I elected to treat
it as a serial and not a manuscript, having no other choice.

Frieda Rosenberg
Serials Cataloging
Univ. of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
friedat@email.unc.edu