Re[2]: Electronic Serials Institute (Patricia Loghry) Marcia Tuttle 18 Jul 1997 13:38 UTC

Again, I apologize for having to forward messages individually instead of
grouping them. My new computer arrives next week! -Marcia

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 10:22:44 MDT
From: Patricia Loghry <FG38@UTEP.BITNET>
To: SEREDIT@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: Re[2]: Electronic Serials Institute (Di Neumeister)

I agree with this as well.  I am in El Paso, Texas, and need as much
education as I can get.  The travel budget is tight and I cannot afford
to fund all of these on my own.  I would love to see these in other
areas or as a teleconf.

>Or how about a teleconference?  Most librarians should have access to a
>site for a teleconference reasonably (and affordably) close to their own
>libraries.
>
>Or maybe conferences could be videotaped? Then the host institution could
>make a couple of copies of the tape and loan them to other libraries via
>ILL? Or even sell them at a reasonable price.
>
>Maybe some of you can come up with all kinds of reasons that these
>suggestions aren't practical -- or maybe not.  In any case, I think a
>discussion on this is long overdue.  Library technology is changing so
>fast that most of us need continuing education more than ever before, but
>it's often difficult to find the topics we need close to home.  With all
>the technology we now have access to, there should be some workable
>alternative to sending people clear across the country in this era of
>tighter budgets and fewer staff members.

It seems that we should be able to find a way to help each other with
the newer technologies.  I would suggest an email interactive conference
maybe.

Pat Loghry
Coordinator - Serials section
University of Texas-El Paso