Re: Microfiche Title Problem - Journal of Sedimentary Research Bud Sonka 14 Aug 1997 19:35 UTC

Carmel,
Since we integrate our microform holdings into the periodical title
record, vendors' frequent variations of the title on the microform is not
a cataloguing issue, just a filing problem which we solve with
cross-reference cards in the microfiche cabinets.  We file the fiche where we
know it goes, and put a cross-reference where a student assistant might
tend to misfile it later.

In your case, we would have the primary title card read Journal of
Sedimentary Research A&B, and, if the microfiche holdings were a long
enough run to create a visual separation in the drawers making it
necessary, we would have separate cross-reference cards for A and for B
which would be placed at the end of the run.  This would get the
researcher to the fiche wanted, and keep the fiche filers putting them
where they belong.

Bud Sonka
Serials Unit Supervisor
National University Library System