re. Comments & suggestions (4 messages) Birdie MacLennan 15 Aug 1997 14:03 UTC

4 messages, 164 lines:

(1)--------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 21:23:31 -0600
From: "Anne C. Bunting" <ABUNTING@UTMEM1.UTMEM.EDU>
Subject: Re: comments & suggestions

We also use EBSCO and they have told us the same thing--that
it confuses the issue when we claim on top of the claim
checker.  Somehow they overlap.  I have been sending them a
list of titles claimed and not received after the 3d claim.
They are responding now.

[From: "Anne C. Bunting" <ABUNTING@UTMEM1.UTMEM.EDU>]

(2)--------------------
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 09:11:29 +0930 CST
From: "Helen Thompson" <helen@library.ntu.edu.au>

Dani Lichtenberg <p005386b@PB.SEFLIN.ORG> wrote:
> Since I am new to the "serials game" I have been following this claiming
> thread with interest.  I understand now that other libraries send out
> subsequent claims for missing issues, in ADDITION to responding to the
> vendor's "claim checker."
>
> But here is my situation.  We use EBSCO as our vendor.  The staff member
> who does our claims was told by our EBSCO rep that we are NOT to send out
> subsequent claims- that the "claim checker" serves as the way to submit
> notice of continued non-receipt of items.  Does anyone else use EBSCO
> and, if so, how do you handle the issue of subsequent claims (e.g. 1st
> claim, 2nd claim, 3rd claim and so on, for a missing item)?

Dear Dani [and all]

We also use Ebsco [Ebsco Australia]. We use the Dynix Serials Module,
which has preset claim cycles, [which can be altered] and which we can
also use to set up our own claim cycles. We use the first printed claim to
alert us to the fact that an issue has not been received (if we have not
picked it up first by receiving and checking in a subsequent issue, having
someone advise that it is available, etc.), and send it off to Ebsco.

Ebsco then sends us a claim acknowledgment sheet listing the claims it has
placed, and then periodically sends us Ebsco Monthly Claim Checker sheets,
which we check to see if the claimed issues have turned up, or not, and
advise Ebsco accordingly.

We have been using the second and third claim sheets when printed as a
means of checking that the claim for a missing issue has not dropped off
Ebsco's claiming system.  We don't send them to Ebsco unless the issue is
no longer listed on the Ebsco Monthly Claim Checker.

We have also set up Ebsco specific claim cycles, which only claims once
for an issue, which we are experimenting with.

  This is fine if you don't want the hassles of dealing with unwanted
printed second and third claims, but means that you have to be diligent in
replying to the Ebsco Monthly Claim Checkers, and keeping a manual check
on outstanding issues.  Unless you are using Ebsco's consolidation service
where they guarantee claiming of missing issues automatically for you on
your behalf [for a price, of course!], then I would not recommend relying
entirely on Ebsco [or any serials vendor] to successfully claim all issues
claimed, without careful monitoring of all claims.  Even with a
consolidation service I would recommend that your system be programmed to
print at least one claim [with a longer period than would normally be the
case, so that when the claim is generated you could use it to check that
Ebsco had already claimed the overdue issue].

 We always check Ebsconet to see if there is a delayed status, or date
when issue is expected to be published listed, and find the JETS shipment
dates invaluable [even if we don't have a consolidation service
arrangement with them, as it least it indicates that yes the issue has
been published, and was available at that date, and after adding the
expected shipment period, we can work out an expected date of arrival, and
decide if it is too early to claim or not before actually claiming with
Ebsco].

 What I also do sometimes (especially if published in Australia) is
contact the publisher direct [many have email addresses listed in previous
issues, or homepages on the internet [some which list issue specific
information about their periodicals], or at least a contact phone no.] to
query the publication status of a title, or if I have any other queries
regarding the title, such as frequency changes which are unclear and have
not been updated or are unhelpful on Ebsconet, before contacting Ebsco.

 If I am not getting a satisfactory result to a claim [or any subscription
matter] through Ebsco, I will then contact the publisher by
fax/email/phone to discuss the problem, mentioning of course that we have
our subscription through Ebsco Australia.  I would not send a claim
directly to a publisher without advising that our subscription was through
Ebsco Australia, and give Ebsco's current order number [available from
invoices, Ebsco's printed Summary of Publications Ordered by Titles as of
... report available on request, or from Ebsconet] to assist the publisher
in locating our subscription record, and ensuring do not have a claim
filled twice.  I would also advise Ebsco Australia of any
reply/conversation regarding the claim problem, to keep them informed.  I
also advise Ebsco of any title changes which have not been updated
accordingly on Ebsconet, including details of the date and issue number
etc. that the title change occured with.

Hoping this has been of some assistance.

Helen Thompson
Serials Supervisor
Northern Territory University
PO Box 41246
Casuarina NT 0811
Australia
Ph:  61 8 89 466172
Fax: 61 8 89 451317
email: Helen@library.ntu.edu.au

(3)-----------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 08:17:12 -0400
From: Diane Johnson <JOHNSOND@UNO.CC.GENESEO.EDU>

Dani Lichtenberg <p005386b@PB.SEFLIN.ORG> wrote:
>Does anyone else use EBSCO
>and, if so, how do you handle the issue of subsequent claims (e.g. 1st
>claim, 2nd claim, 3rd claim and so on, for a missing item)?

We use Ebsco as our vendor and only use the Ebsco claim checker for
subsequent claims.

 Diane Johnson                                Head, Serials Dept.
 Phone:  (716) 245-5597                       Coordinator for MultiLIS & OCLC
 Fax: (716) 245-5003                          Services
                                              Milne Library
 Internet: johnsonD@uno.cc.geneseo.edu        SUNY Geneseo, NY   14454

(4)---------------------------
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 07:36:16 -0500
From: Vicki Combs <VCOMBS@KCKPL.LIB.KS.US>
Subject: Re[2]: comments & suggestions

Hi Dani,

Serials can be frustrating enough without creating extra work for yourself.
We use Ebsco. I do all the claiming.

Assuming I am not running behind, I use the claim checkers for additional
claims. And I do count them as 2nd and 3rd claims, etc.

The way the Ebsco claim checker is set up makes this very easy to do.
Since it is better to wait about 2 months between claims, on the first
claim checker I will mark to leave the claim on the checker but not to
reclaim and on the next one I will mark to reclaim. They come out once a
month so this is a good way to keep track. Ok, sometimes I might wait till
the 3rd time it is on the claim checker to mark it to reclaim, if it was
just claimed before the first claim checker came out.

Vicki Combs
Serials Associate
Kansas City Kansas Public Library
625 Minnesota Ave