Re: Internet journal access Carol Jones 20 Aug 1997 17:19 UTC

In our experience, The Chronicle has made it very clear that each
individual who accesses the online version must have his/her own individual
subscription in order to get a password and ID.  When I called their
office, I was told explicitly that they do not make passwords and ID's
available for institutional use and that a password/ID issued to a
librarian is not to be posted or otherwise shared for multiple-user access.

I would be very interested in how the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay has
managed to circumvent this very restrictive policy.

Carol Jones
Technical Services Librarian
Kline Science Library
Yale University
Phone:  203-432-3442
Email:  carol.jones@yale.edu

At 11:09 AM 8/20/97 -0500, Jeanette Skwor wrote:
>***I am not understanding this.  We subscribe to the Chronicle through
>our vendor, Faxon, and have access--and had no problems gaining it.
>Neither am I aware of such problems with other journals.
>
>***Could there be another problem?
>
>Jeanette Skwor
>Cofrin Library
>University of Wisconsin-Green Bay
><SKWORJ@GBMS01.UWGB.EDU>

>> examples where institutions are not given access would be
>> _Chronicle of Higher Education_ and _Science_ (although
>> High Wire may address the latter).  In my experience, the limitations
>> are directed against institutions per se, not because we go through
>> subscription agents.  I think the latter (at least ours) are making
>> great progress in coping with the proliferating e-titles and requirements.
>>
>> K. Mulliner       Collection Development Coordinator & Asst. to Dean
>> "Owner"  CORMOSEA & cap-sea Electronic Mailing Lists
>>
>> Ohio University Libraries       Phone: 614-593-2707
>> Athens, OH 45701-2978, USA      FAX: 614-593-2708
>> mulliner@ohiou.edu
>>
>> At 02:00 PM 8/18/97 -0400, Kamala S Narayanan wrote:
>> >We have some journals like the Astrophysical journal, American
Institute of