Cataloging Statistics Jan Lahmeyer 08 Sep 1997 08:27 UTC

Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 10:27:25 +0000
From: Jan Lahmeyer <seriecat@ubu.ruu.nl>
Subject: Re: Cataloging Statistics

"Carol H. Jewell" <CHJ65@CNSVAX.ALBANY.EDU> wrote:
>         I am a new periodicals cataloger.
>
>         Can other periodicals catalogers, who don't have other
> responsiblities (such as supervision, administrative duties, etc.) give me
> some idea of how many titles they catalog each month? I am trying to
> find a number to shoot for.

Although the situations are far from comparable, I have put some
productions statistics of the Serials Cataloguing Division here at
the University Library of Utrecht from last year (1996) and the
first semester of this year on a piece of paper and the following
results came out per month per person (at six persons who work
regularly on serial cataloguing, with other responsabilities as
well):

In the local database:

New bibliographic descriptions: 14
Mutations in existing bibliographic descriptions: 90

New authority records: 9
Mutations in existing authority records: 7

In the national database:
Mutations (new and old bibliographic records): 90

Greetings,
Jan

*  Jan J. Lahmeyer -  EML: seriecat@ubu.ruu.nl
*  Unit Serial Publications - Cataloguing Section -  Dept. Cataloguing &
*   Acquisition - Central Library Service
*  UNIVERSITY  LIBRARY  UTRECHT -  P.O. Box  16007 , NL - 3500  DA   UTRECHT
*  Voice Phone +31 (0)302536573 -  Fax +31 (0)302539292