Re: Retrieving E-journals in the Catalog (Crystal Graham) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 15 Sep 1997 13:27 UTC

Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997 18:08:11 -0700
From: Crystal Graham <cgraham@GORT.UCSD.EDU>
Subject: Re: Retrieving E-journals in the Catalog (Connie Foster)

We've created a number of local subject headings,plus a genre
heading 655 7 Online resources $2 local which is used by all members of
our local consortium.  (This includes all Internet sites, not just
serials).  The local subjects are more specific, such as
Electronic journals -- Music.  We have the Innopac Web Catalog and have
the capability of running a real-time search on a heading in
the catalog automatically
from a hypertext link on a web page, so the Music web page can say "click
here for a list of music electronic journals" and the system runs a
search on the records with that heading.  (We're just setting this up --
not rolled out to the public yet).

For Melvyl, the UC-statewide catalog, we're currently investigating form
searches based on fixed field coding (e.g., 007 for remote files) but
it's not yet determined whether one could make that a primary search or
only a form limit.

I'm not familiar with NOTIS to understand how your 856 searches would
work.  Surely your users want a more user-friendly search than http://??  As
for the 538, beware of the myriad records that put the related version
information in the 530 (e.g., CONSER records and GPO records for both
serials/monographs) or even 500 for related web sites (e.g., tables of
contents, supplementary information).

On the other hand, the ability to search 856s is really useful for tech
services, particularly if you have the ability to turn the search results
into a file on which you can run a URL-verification program.

Feel free to write to me privately if you want more nitty-gritty detail
on our experiences.

Crystal Graham
Digital Information and Serials Cataloging Section Head
University of California, San Diego
cgraham@ucsd.edu