Re: E-journals in online services (Donna Vavrek) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 19 Sep 1997 18:13 UTC

Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 11:20:54 -0600 (CST)
From: Donna Vavrek <libvavrek@ALPHA.NLU.EDU>
Subject: Re: E-journals in online services (Carol Green)

Greetings from the South-

Here at NLU we are beginning to add the URL address to our bib records
where we have a print and online subscription for a serial title.  The online
version of the publication appears as copy 2 and the patron can "click"
on the http address if they have the correct equipment and software to
go from the online catalog to the web site.  This allows for "one stop shop-
ping".  I just "discovered" this neat trick last week.

We have one title, The ACM journal of experimental algorithmics which is
only available online, however, so it appears in our catalog as a computer
file with its own http address.

I think it is important to add the http addresses to the bib records, but I
am very concerned about their stability.  I also prefer having all the infor-
mation on a title in one place.
Donna L.Vavrek
Serials Librarian
Sandel Library                          email:libvavrek@alpha.nlu.edu
Northeast Louisiana University          phone:(318)342-1074
Monroe, LA 71209                        fax:  (318)342-1075