E-journals in online services (forward) Carol Green 22 Sep 1997 14:34 UTC

--------------Forwarded message----------------
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 07:35:00 -0500
To: Carol.Green@usm.edu
From: Sharon McCaslin <sharonm@pscosf.peru.edu>
Subject: Database pointers to full-text titles

       Just thought I'd point out that our consortium (three Nebraska state
colleges) is attempting to put in one record for each database, with a
massive formatted 505 field to get title access to the full-text items.  So
far we've done ABI/INFORM and EBSCO Academic Search.  We have run into a
small problem with our vendor (Innovative) over the extreme size of such a
record (the indexing seems to go a little hay-wire after about 100 or so
entries), so we may be entering multiple records, but that is certainly
what we are attempting.  We decided NOT to go the route of treating it as
an alternate version of the same title (as we do with microforms), because
the full-text version is so different from the original.  If we were
dealing with Pro-Quest, I might be approaching this differently....
                                                       Sharon
Dr. Sharon McCaslin                    sharonm@bobcat.peru.edu
Technical Services Librarian/          (402)872-2306
Associate Professor
Peru State College
P.O. Box 10
Peru NE  68421