Re: JSTOR questions Helen M. Aiello 27 Oct 1997 15:38 UTC

Last Wed.(10/22/97), I had replied to a message from Ed Gil at Montclair
State University, regarding our library's experience with JSTOR.  One of
the issues I had raised was the problems we had experienced with printing
out articles from JSTOR since JSTOR was using an uncommon plug-in for
printing.

After I sent the message, I was notified by Sharon Hemingway, the JSTOR
User Services Librarian, that as of Sept.18, 1997, JSTOR was using Adobe
Acrobat for its printing plug-in.

I was stuck in the Aug. time-warp when our instruction team was creating
how-to's for our incoming students: matters do change very rapidly in
e-text land, and, in this case, certainly for the better.

In any case, since I created the initial misinformation, I want to correct
that by informing everyone on the list about this change and also to share
this news.  Following is the excerpt from Sharon's message to me:

>(From JSTOR Update for September 18, 1997)

>* New Printing Option *

>It is now possible to print .pdf versions of JSTOR articles. This requires
>Adobe Acrobat Reader, which may be freely downloaded from the Adobe
>web site (http://www.adobe.com/prodindex/acrobat/readstep.html).
>
>Choosing one of the Adobe Acrobat Printing options on the Print Page will
>activate Acrobat Reader. If your browser has been configured to use
>Acrobat Reader as a helper application, it will open the JSTOR article in
>a separate window.  If Acrobat Reader has been installed as a plugin for
>your browser, the article and controls will be displayed within your
>browser screen. In either case, the JSTOR article will be displayed within
>Acrobat Reader, and Acrobat menu commands will be used to print. It will
>be important to keep this distinction in mind, as further use of JSTOR
>requires going back to the browser application.
>
>It is important to remember that these JSTOR .pdf files are still
>*images*, not text, and therefore the text of an article cannot be copied,
>pasted or otherwise manipulated. For the same reason, the Acrobat Reader
>"Find" command will not work on a JSTOR .pdf file.

>For more details about this new feature, select "HELP" on the JSTOR
>printing page toolbar.

Helen M. Aiello, Serials Librarian
Wesleyan University
Olin Library