Re: Marc holdings information needed Nancy Hanks 27 Oct 1997 15:31 UTC

At 10:08 AM 10/22/97 -0400, Donna Bible <bibled@doaks.org> wrote:

>We are a medium sized academic library in the process of implementing
>our first integrated library system.  We intend to create detailed
>holdings records for approximately 2,000 serials using the LC MARC
>holdings standard.  I have ordered the documentation and anticipate that
>it will take me several months at least before the project is complete.
>Yesterday one of our library administrators suggested that this is an
>easy task that should be complete in a matter of weeks, and  should not
>require much effort or preparation.
>
>Have any of you ever had to justify using the MARC standard?  How long
>should it take to create MARC holdings records for 2,000 journals and,
>of equal importance, is this not an endeavor for which a fair amount of
>study and preparation is justified?
>
>I would deeply appreciate any opinions or recommendations on this
>matter.  Your response would help me to justifiably take the time I need
>to complete the project.
>
>Thanks in advance!

We implemented our first automated system (NOTIS) about 5 years ago.  At
the time we had about 1,700 current paper periodical subsciptions.  We
loaded periodical records with MARC holdings from OCLC union list tapes.

Before we even started updating the holdings, I spent time reviewing and
learning the holdings format myself and then writing up some instructions
with examples (which required experimenting in the database).

It took my assistant (high level staff, very experienced with serials but
new to automated systems) about 4 YEARS to clean up the records for the
CURRENT titles and their backruns of title changes.  She added notes,
double-checked holdings, entered level 4 holdings for loose issues in the
stacks with missing issues, transfered other formats to the paper records
and deleted microfilm records - all with very little input from me except
initial training and some help with a few really complicated titles.
Another part of the project was to check the holdings dates against the
dates in the cataloging record - we missed a number of title changes over
the years and had to add those records.  (I was, and still am, cleaning up
the annuals, etc in the stacks many of which were cataloged as
monographs.)

We are a two person department with a number of other things to do.  So,
for us, these projects get done slowly.  You do get faster as you get
familiar with what you are doing and if you can use macros, they really
help!

Even working at it full time, I doubt holdings could be done in a few
weeks.  And I would not recommend doing it all day, every day, anyway.
Your body gets tired of being at a computer, your brain gets numb, and
then you make mistakes.

Good luck.

Nancy S. Hanks
Serials Librarian               Phone:  (412) 738-2658
Bailey Library                  Fax:    (412) 738-2661
Slippery Rock University        Email:  nancy.hanks@sru.edu
Slippery Rock, PA  16057