Re: URL minders R.Tilly 28 Oct 1997 08:58 UTC

Jeanne Towle <jtowle@rrcc.mb.ca> wrote:

> We are currently using Netminder's "URL Minder" to notify us when the
> URL of an e-journal that we have catalogued has either moved or died.
> It will allow us to ask to be notified when there is any change to the
> sight, but we do not use that feature for serials, since it would then
> notify us anytime a new issue was added.
>
> We are concerned that this method will not allow us to keep track of
> "Title changes" and the like.
>
> Has anyone found a "URL minder" that they prefer?

Jeanne,

I was very interested in reading your mail on the URL minder.  As we are
currently looking into the procedures for handling E-journals I would like
to know if you have attacked the problem of keeping track of the
continuity of journals.

For example at present we get each issue through the mail and record it
into our systems. If a journal is not running for any reason at all we get
a notification from the system in the form of a claim and we react upon
this claim. However if we subscribe to E-journal we don't know when issues
are dispached to the library and if we've received them.  I was talking
with some people by Elsevier but the only answer they gave me was to go
through the dispached issues list that they publish regularly. In further
discussing this we agreed that this was not the way to go with E-journals.
I don't know if you looked into this problem or have a solution for it.
 Please let me know if you have more information on it, or would like to look
into this problem with us.

Yours,

Roel Tilly
Maastricht University