Re: Journal dealers listing wanted (4 messages) Birdie MacLennan 10 Oct 1997 23:04 UTC

4 messages, 105 lines:

(1)----------------------------
Date:         Fri, 10 Oct 1997 15:51:37 -0400
From:         Cecilia Leathem <cleathem@UMIAMI.IR.MIAMI.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Journal dealers listing wanted

On Fri, 10 Oct 1997, Tricia Wilke <twilke@purduenc.edu> wrote:

> Does anyone have a listing of good used journal dealers (larger
> companies)?  We're missing many issues of journals from the 60s through
> the 80s that we haven't been able to obtain on gifts and exchange.  We
> would like to take one more shot at getting them before binding them
> incomplete.  Thanks for your help.

Tricia,
If you have Web access, you might take a look at the Web site, "Back
Issues and Exchange Services."  URL:
        http://www.uvm.edu/~bmaclenn/backexch.html

I found this listing via Birdie MacLennan's Web page, which is very useful
for serials librarians.

Cecilia Leathem
Head, Serials Cataloging Unit
Otto G. Richter Library
University of Miami
P.O. Box 248214
Coral Gables, Fl 33124-0320
cleathem@umiami.ir.miami.edu
Tel: (305) 284-4719
Fax: (305) 665-7352

(2)--------------------------
Date:         Fri, 10 Oct 1997 15:09:48 -0400
From:         Sherry Petry <spetry@CE1.AF.PUBLIC.LIB.GA.US>

Have you tried Backserv?  We are getting rid of a lot of stuff from the
'60's and early'70's that I list occasionally on Backserv, but they are
bound volumes; maybe you prefer single issues.

Sherry Petry                            spetry@af.public.lib.ga.us
Periodicals Department                  404-730-1917
Atlanta-Fulton Public Library
1 Margaret Mitchell Sq.
Atlanta, GA  30303

                Opinions expressed are my own and do
                not represent the Atlanta-Fulton
                Public Library

(3)---------------------------
Date:         Fri, 10 Oct 1997 14:07:46 -0400
From:         "H.B. Quoyoon" <quoyoon@DORSAI.ORG>

1997: Oct 10th

        I realize you specify  "larger companies"
                - but I do wonder the reason(s) for
                excluding smaller dealers.

        Are the larger dealers so efficient and
                professional that smaller ones, such
                as myself, are to be excluded even
                though we may be worthwhile enough to
                send your email or regular wnt lists?

                                   H.B. Quoyoon
                                   quoyoon@dorsai.org
                                   718: 268-5315
                                   69-09 112th Street
                                   Forest Hills, NY 11375

(4)----------------------
Date:         Fri, 10 Oct 1997 13:00:35 -0500
From:         Joe Edelen <jedelen@SUNFLOWR.USD.EDU>

Tricia,

I have done a fair amount of work with back dealers that I have been able
to identify and have found only 2 worth continuing to work with (we
never, and I mean never, bind a volume with a missing issue). They
are, in order of our priority (based on promptness of response, ability to
provide issues, cost and service), Hawkeye (we have been using them
for years with a great deal of success) (phone is 605-472-1559 and fax
is 605-472-3515) and Hans Kuperus (a new find for us) (phone 818-890-1403
and fax 818-897-4286).  We have worked with a couple others, most recently
USBE, and have not found their service such that we would be prepared to
recommend them to other librarians.

I would also suggest that some companies will have issues still available
from the 80s.

Joe Edelen
University of South Dakota
 <jedelen@SUNFLOWR.USD.EDU>