Postal strike in Canada (2 messages) Birdie MacLennan 26 Nov 1997 17:57 UTC

2 messages, 64 lines:

(1)-----------------------
Date:         Tue, 25 Nov 1997 14:34:29 +0000
From:         Janice.White@FCT-CF.X400.GC.CA
Subject:      Postal strike in Canada -Reply

Hi there

I work in a Federal Government Library here in Canada.  The negotiations
are ongoing with Canada Post and their union at this point.  It is anyone's
guess as to how long it will last.  I have heard a variety of reports as has
everyone else here in Canada.  Latest guess was another week but it
will take awhile for things to start flowing again.  Canadians were told to
not mail things a couple of weeks prior to the strike and its been noted
that the mail volume at Canada Post has dropped drastically some say by
50%.  We have been receiving the odd shipment by courrier service and
do our own pick ups if need be within our city.

I am not surprised that the US Postal system has stopped taking things
bound for Canada as they would have to warehouse it until it can be
delivered to the Canada Post Offices.  All mail that is coming into the
country is apperantly being warehoused awaiting process.  I imagine
you will get a fair amount of backlogged items by the time the strike is
over.  We expect a fair amount once it winds up.

We also feel cut off from our friends South of the border and miss the
mail we receive from them.  Especially this time of the year when
Christmas is just around the corner.  Lets all hope its over soon and
things start flowing again.

Janice White
Acquisitions Assistant
Federal Court of Canada Library
Janice.White@fct-cf.x400.ca

(2)-------------------------
Date:         Tue, 25 Nov 1997 14:35:14 +0000
From:         Wendy Reynolds <Wendy.Reynolds@FCT-CF.X400.GC.CA>

Hi -- I'm *in* a library in Canada, and if anyone can explain what's going
on with the postal negotiations, I'd be glad to hear it.

Last news from the labour front was that a conciliator had been
appointed, and there is no plan to legislate the union back to work.  As a
matter of fact, the union is rumoured to be considering ignoring a
back-to-work order anyway, so it may be a while before we have postal
service.

Strangely enough, I received an electricity bill at home yesterday, so I
suspect that many businesses are hiring people to deliver bills by hand.
The courier companies are going nuts with the increase in business.

You might be able to negotiate courier delivery of monographs and
high-cost items, but don't look for stuff usually delivered by mass
mailings (magazines).  It wouldn't be cost efficient.  If my experience at
home is anything to go by, you can count on receiving the invoices,
though!

Wendy Reynolds
Federal Court of Canada