Re: Tattle-tape question (5 messages) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 13 Nov 1997 21:48 UTC

5 messages:

1)_____

Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 08:58:11 -0800
From: "Virginia Froemel (vfroemel@cwsl.edu)" <vef@cwsl.edu>
Subject: Re: Tattle-tape question (Andrew Leonhart)

> I put 3M tattle-tape in all my periodicals.  The green strips are charged
> with A LOT of static electricity.  They STICK to my hands.  They will
> literally LEAP out of the trash can onto my hand when I try to throw them
> away.  Often I can only throw away the whole pile after I am done because
> the individual ones will not stay put.
>
> Does anyone have a solution for this "sticky" problem?

You can try rubbing your hands with fabric softner sheets such as Bounce
to get rid of the static electricity.  I have never tried this but I have
heard it works.

Virginia Froemel, Serials Assistant - vfroemel@cwsl.edu
California Western School of Law Library  (619)525-1428
225 Cedar Street                       Fax(619)685-2918
San Diego, CA 92101

2)_____

Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 09:06:44 -0800
From: Carol Morse <MorsCa@WWC.EDU>

We discard the tattle tape plastic in special sack in a drawer in the
serials dept.  When it's full, we staple it shut and take it to the dumpser
behind the libary.  The original purpose of doing that was to hide them
from patrons, so they would not understand how the library security
system works.

Carol Morse

Carol Morse                                    Phone: 509:527-2684
Serials Librarian                              Fax::  509) 527-2001
Walla Walla College Library            Email:  morsca@wwc.edu
204 S. College Ave.
College Place, WA  99324

Grant us strength for the journey and wisdom to know the way.

3)_____

Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 12:29:19 -0500
From: Charles Richard Hughes III <crhugh01@homer.louisville.edu>
Subject: Tattle tape strips

I spray them a little with a misting bottle from home. That dissipated
the static charge.

--
Cordially speaking,
Chuck

"Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the
        time he will pick himself up and continue on."
   (Winston Churchill)

4)_____

Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 10:51:15 -0800 (PST)
From: hflib016@email.csun.edu

Andrew - Get a piece of double sided tape, or roll up a big piece of tape
(like maybe mending tape, which is wide), sticky side OUT, and stick this
just inside the rim of your trash can.  Instead of throwing out the green
strips, stick them on this tape, which then gets discarded with your
trash.

How's that for a cheap solution?!

Diane Moore
diane.moore@csun.edu

5)_____

Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 14:22:16 -0700
From: Bruce Reck <BRECK@BSU.IDBSU.EDU>
Subject: Tattle-tape question (Andrew Leonhart) -Reply

Hi.  I'm writing from the library at Boise State University in Boise, Idaho.
We have the same problem, and we do the same thing you do.  I get
pretty annoyed with those little green adhesive covers sometimes, so I
try to peel them all off into a pile, then throw them away when I'm done.

Wish I had another solution.  If you hear anything that sounds, I don't
know, more graceful and sophisticated(?), please let me know.  Good
luck.

Bruce Reck