Binding of Dissertations and Theses Cynthia H. Fields-Belanger 18 Nov 1997 14:21 UTC

Hello Joe Edelen

My boss forward your message to me. I recently started at
this position and cannot answer all your questions. But
what I can answer:

Joe Edelen <jedelen@SUNFLOWR.USD.EDU> wrote:
> My question is: in libraries where a student writes a Master's or
> Doctoral thesis/dissertation to fulfill a degree requirement and then is
> often/usually/always required to submit 1 or 2 (in our case 2) copies of
> that document to the library for its collection, is the student required
> to pay for the binding of these copies, do they pay for them only on the
> Ph.D. level, neither level, does the graduate school pay for them, and,
> secondly, in your institution where is the lead taken with regard to
> binding and UMI microfilming of a dissertation: the Graduate School,
> Library, or other?

I process only doctoral thesis. (The University
Archives only accepts doctoral thesis as well.)
The student must provide three copies.
        1. Gutman Library Copy
        2. University Archives Copy
        3. faculty advisor copy
The student pays for the binding and for the microfilming
and copywriting -- if necessary.
I send the copies to UMI, but all corrections if necessary
are handled then by the student.

I hope this is helpful.

Cheers.

        cynthia

Cynthia H. Fields-Belanger
Monroe C. Gutman Library
Harvard University Graduate School of Education
Cambridge, MA 02138
fieldscy@hugse1.harvard.edu