Withdrawing Journals (11 messages) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 15 Dec 1997 15:49 UTC

11 messages:

1)_____

Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 10:16:03 -0600
From: Andrew Leonhart <aleonhar@MNU.EDU>
Subject: Re: Withdrawing journals

Karrie,

Offer them on Backserv!  I hope everyone on Serialst knows about backserv.
It is a list where people offer duplicate or withdrawn journals to other
libraries.  You can also request a missing journal from other libraries.
There are over 500 libraries signed up on this list.

To sign up send a message to:  listserv@sun.readmore.com
No subject.
Body of message:  subscribe backserv
Then type:  end
so the listserv software doesn't interpret your signiture as a command.

Hope to see you there.  I may want some of those withdrawn journals.

Andrew :)

At 08:37 AM 12/12/97 -0400, you wrote:
>HI,
>Does anyone out there have any suggestions for disposal of old bound
>journals?  We are starting to run out of room in our library and would like
>to weed some titles, but feel that it is wasteful to put them in a
>landfill.  We could send them to USBE, but is this our only option?  Any
>suggestions would be appreciated.
>
>Thank you.
>
>Karrie Yukon
>Serials Librarian
>General Motors Research Library
>Karrie_F._Yukon@GMRNOTES3.GMR.COM

"When I get a little money, I buy books;
and if any is left, I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus

Telephone (913) 782-3750 x 162
Fax (913) 791-3285
E-Mail aleonhar@mnu.edu

MAILING LABEL:

Andrew Leonhart
Mabee Library
MidAmerica Nazarene University
2030 E. College Way
Olathe, KS 66062-1899

2)_____

Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 12:09:10 -0500
From: "Dahrl E. Moore" <moore@ACC.FAU.EDU>

Try Alfred Jaeger, P.O.Box 9009, 66 Austin Boulevard, Commack, NY.
1-800-969-5247. they deal in back issues of titles. Dahrl E. Moore, Florida
Atlantic University Library

Dahrl E. Moore                                  Serials/Acquisitions Department
Florida Atlantic University Libraries           Ph: (561) 367-3778
777 Glades Road                                 FAX: (561) 394-8829
Boca Raton, FL 33431                            Email: moore@acc.fau.edu

3)_____

Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 11:04:58 -0600
From: "L. Hunter Kevil" <mulkevil@SHOWME.MISSOURI.EDU>

Karrie,

Before pitching your unloved journals, I would recommend you post them to
BACKSERV. That way some library desperately looking for what you are about
to toss has a chance to plug a gap.

Check it out at: http://readmore.com/bis-eservices/backserv/index.html

L. Hunter KEVIL, Ph.D.             mulkevil@showme.missouri.edu
Head, Serials Department           573-884-8760 (voice)
Ellis Library                      573-884-5243 (facsimile)
University of Missouri-Columbia
Columbia, Missouri 65201

4)_____

Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 11:34:22 -0600
From: Joe Edelen <jedelen@SUNFLOWR.USD.EDU>

Call Hawkeye Book Company, 605-472-1559.  Maybe they would be interested
in buying some/all of what you have.

Joe Edelen
University of South Dakota

5)_____

Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 13:07:13 -0400 (EDT)
From: GLEN MAHONEY <GMAHONEY@LIBRARY.SMITH.EDU>

You should consider contacting:

        Alfred Jaeger, Inc.
        66 Austin Blvd.
        P.O. Box 9009
        Commack, NY 11725-9009
        phone: 516-543-1500
        fax:   516-543-1537
        home page: http://www.ajaeger.com

This company purchases back runs of journals, especially science
titles, from libraries.

!/*!/*!/*!/*!/*!/*!/*!/*!/*!/*!/*!/*!/*!/*!/*!/*!/*!/*!/*!/*!/*!
Glen K. Mahoney                 email:gmahoney@library.smith.edu
Periodicals/Acquisitions        phone:413-585-2983
William Allan Neilson Library   fax:  413-585-2904
Smith College
Northampton, MA 01063-0001

6)_____

Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 15:08:22 -0500
From: "Susan E. Sturgeon" <ssturgeo@SALEM.MASS.EDU>

By all means join the BACKSERV listserv, which is devoted exclusively to
the informal and free (except for postage) exchange of serials back issues
and volumes among libraries.  It's wonderful!  To subscribe, send a
message to LISTSERV@SUN.READMORE.COM that reads:

    subscribe BACKSERV (your name)

SUSAN STURGEON
SERIALS DEPARTMENT
SALEM STATE COLLEGE LIBRARY
352 LAFAYETTE ST.
SALEM MA 01970
NEW E-mail address:susan.sturgeon@salem.mass.edu

7)_____

Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 17:01:20 -0500
From: Sharon Bingham <sbingham@ALLEG.EDU>

I put out a list to 50 other libraries each year.  On this list are books
and periodicals (bound and loose) that we no longer want.  They are free.
Some places put out a similar list, but mandate that you pay the shipping for
anything sent to you.

Sherree

8)_____

Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 14:33:08 -0800 (PST)
From: Helen Clarke <Helen_Clarke@DOUGLAS.BC.CA>

Karrie,

We forward a lot of our superceded or duplicate issues to the National
Library of Canada for inclusion on their gifts and exchange list.  The
address is:

Canadian Book Exchange Centre
National Library of Canada
85 Bentley Avenue
Ottawa, Ontario   K2E 6T7

their phone is 613-995-2317 and their fax is 613-954-9891

Helen

--
Helen_Clarke@douglas.bc.ca

Helen Clarke/Serials Assistant
Douglas College Library
P.O. Box 2503  New Westminster
British Columbia   V3L 5B2  CANADA
phone (604) 527-5179 Fax (604) 527-5193

9)_____

Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 16:39:21 -0600
From: Nancy Day <dayn@LHL.LIB.MO.US>

Dear Karrie
Do  you have a list of the titles and the years?  If these are
technical/scientific journals, Linda Hall Library would be most appreciative
of the opportunity to consider your discards.  As a public research library
in science and technology we are interested in filling in gaps in our
collections and are a better alternative than a landfill.  Please call so we
can discuss this in a bit more detail.

I am sure you will not find much interest on the part of USBE in older journals.

Thank you
Nancy Day    816-926-8735

Nancy Day
Information Resources Officer
Linda Hall Library
5109 Cherry
Kansas City MO 64110-2498
USA

Voice mail: 816-926-8735
e-mail:  dayn@lhl.lib.mo.us
Fax: 816-926-8790
Home page:  http://www.lhl.lib.mo.us

10)_____

Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 07:53:34 -0600
From: Dana Belcher <dbelcher@MAILCLERK.ECOK.EDU>
Subject: Withdrawing journals -Reply

Is there not a recycling program locally?

Dana Belcher, Periodicals Librarian
East Central University
Ada, OK 74820

11)_____

Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 16:39:37 -0500 (EST)
From: Lolah Giamalva <lgiamalv@LEO.VSLA.EDU>

Karrie, one option we use frequently is to check serial request
exchanges-it is very labor intensive and is dependent on the
number of staff working in the serial area.  But you are
sending the magazine to an institution that will likely be
binding the title and needs the requested issues to have a
complete volume for binding.
  Another option by a different employer was to let staff take
what magazines they were interested in home or donate to a
dentist, doctor, retirement home...the list is endless.
Hope this helps!