Re: Withdrawing journals (2 messages) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 15 Dec 1997 16:12 UTC

2 messages:

1)_____

Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 09:25:34 -0600
From: Cindy Morley <cmorley@LAW.UARK.EDU>
Subject: Re: Withdrawing journals

We recycle them.  If your local recycling can't handle the books, see
about tearing the covers off.  Our recycler does that for us, but you may
need to do it yourself.  Another option might be to first set them out as
free for anyone who would want them. Whatever you can't get rid of, you
could then recycle/send to USBE or whatever.  Hope this helps
Cindy Morley
University of Arkansas
Law Library
cmorley@law.uark.edu

On Fri, 12 Dec 1997, Karrie Yukon wrote:

> HI,
> Does anyone out there have any suggestions for disposal of old bound
> journals?  We are starting to run out of room in our library and would like
> to weed some titles, but feel that it is wasteful to put them in a
> landfill.  We could send them to USBE, but is this our only option?  Any
> suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Karrie Yukon
> Serials Librarian
> General Motors Research Library
> Karrie_F._Yukon@GMRNOTES3.GMR.COM

Cindy Morley
University of Arkansas
Law School Library
cmorley@law..uark.edu
(501) 575-7916
 When you need to knock on wood is when you realize that the
world is composed of vinyl, naugahyde and aluminum

2)_____

Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 09:52:58 -0600
From: Peter Boll <bollp@CENTRAL.EDU>

Karrie,

We recently completed a major weeding of our bound periodicals also. I
don't know how this would work at your library, but at our college library
we offered our withdrawn volumes to any faculty who were interested (we got
quite a few takers). Also, our local waste management company was willing
to accept them as recycleables. We did offer a few titles to the duplicate
exchange union we belong to also.

Pete Boll
Serials Librarian
Central College