Re: Publicity for E-journals Tony Kidd 19 Jan 1998 17:31 UTC

Jane,

At Glasgow, we have tried a lot of the things you suggest, and, yes,
parties are certainly very popular, although we substitute wine for the
balloons.  We have had two 'electronic journal parties' with more planned
for this year, inviting faculty and postgraduates in general, or from
different departments, to come to the library in the early evening,
serving wine and conversation, and demonstrating various sets of
ejournals.  We also go out into departments, have prepared handouts on
ejournal FAQs, and written short publicity articles in university
newsletters, etc

We link to over 700 ejournals directly from our Web OPAC, and also have
alphabetical and subject lists on our Web pages, with 'new' titles
highlighted.  In general, we find that the faculty and students are keen
to use ejournals, and, in so far as it is measurable, there is quite high
use here.
Tony Kidd, Head of Serials, Glasgow University Library,
      Hillhead Street, Glasgow G12 8QE, Scotland, UK.
Email: t.kidd@lib.gla.ac.uk
Tel: 0141 330 6778 (UK);  (+44)141 330 6778 (non-UK)
Fax: 0141 330 4198 (UK);  (+44)141 330 4198 (non-UK)

-----