Re: section description (Anneke Houtkamp) Stephen Clark 26 Feb 1998 15:21 UTC

Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 07:46:02 CET
From: JHM.Houtkamp@UBVU.VU.NL
Subject: Re: section description

From:    Rose Welton <rosew@MUSKOX.ALASKA.EDU>
Subject: Title within a title

I need some help describing a title within a title. Within the title:
Petroleum news Alaska, there is a section C titled: Mining news Alaska.
It has its own numbering, with the first issue Vol. 1, no. 1 (July 28-Aug.,
1997). Is this a host parent relationship? What indexed field
do I put in the P.N.A. record so the Mining news Alaska title is
searchable?

Thank you for your help,
Rose Welton<<<<

I'm not sure what you mean by 'host parent relationship'?

However, in a case like this (ie section with an independent title) we would
do the following.

Make a new description for:
title:          Mining news Alaska
numb.field:     Vol. 1, no. 1 (etc)-...
series title:   (Petroleum news Alaska ; sect. C)

and place it on a different call number from the main publ. (hl Petroleum
news Alaska).

In the description of the Main publication (hl Petroleum news Alaska) _no_
reference will be made of the separately described sections (or supplements);
only a general annotation such as: With suppl.

The relation between main publication and section is made via the title index
of the catalogue: 'Petroleum news Alaska' is main title for the one, and
series title for the other.

Greetings,
Anneke Houtkamp
=        JHM Houtkamp             =