Preparing for a new system -Reply (Peggy Saylor) Stephen Clark 26 Feb 1998 21:28 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 13:40:51 -0500
From: Peggy Sealor <psealor@SIL.SI.EDU>
Subject: Preparing for a new system -Reply

Jeanette,
It sounds as though they want to know about clean-ups and fixes which
can be done quickly by the system. Things like put the old NOTIS record
numbers in tag 035 with a distinctive prefix.  Or fields which could be
stripped out prior to conversion, or changes to obsolete coding, or
change all branch locations to lower case (we did that last one).

You may want to look at articles in Serials Librarian or Library Resources
& Technical Services on the subject of system conversion. Sometimes
it's helpful to know what other libraries would have done differently.
Peggy Sealor, Serials Cataloger
Smithsonian Libraries

>>> Jeanette Skwor <SKWORJ@GBMS01.UWGB.EDU> 02/25/98
10:06am >>>
I was asked yesterday for any thoughts on things we might want to do
in
preparation for leaving NOTIS and taking on a new system, things that
might
simplify the process.

Frankly, I'm drawing a blank.  I had just begun in this position when we
did the changeover to NOTIS, and my predecessor did most of the
planning.

Ideas, please?

Jeanette Skwor    skworj@uwgb.edu
Cofrin Library