Publisher' price policies for electronic sources (Naja Porsild) Stephen Clark 27 Feb 1998 14:14 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 13:26:32 +0100
From: Naja Porsild <nap@LIB.HHA.DK>
Subject: Publisher' price policies for electronic sources

Dear colleage,

At the Library of the Aarhus School of Business, Denmark, we are trying
hard to stabilize the current cycle of journal subscription price increases
(just like you - I presume!)

A working group has the task of surveying and investigating the
possibilities of subscribing to electronic journals and/or joining national
licences within our subject areas - i.e. Business economics, language and
business administration and linguistics.

Like other academic libraries we are facing harsh financial realities and
costs must be kept at a reasonable level. But most publishers are still
unwilling to give libraries the option of subscribing only to the
electronic version of a journal. We have experienced, that the normal
publisher policy is to offer both print and electronic versions for which
we pay additionally 10% to 30% to the print-only version.

So we would like to hear your experiences on the following questions:

1. What is the average price increase in % for subscriptions on
journals/serials
   in 1997?
2. Can you recommend any suppliers of non-english e-journals?
   (i.e. German, French or Spanish)
3. Do you have any experiences regarding the subscription prices for print +
   electronic versions of journals?
4. -- or electronic versions only ?

Thank you to all who can respond; I'll look forward to hearing from you.

Naja Porsild

  Naja Porsild                          e-mail:  nap@lib.hha.dk
  Librarian
  The Aarhus School of Business         Tel.:     +45 89-486527
  Fuglesangs All� 4,                  Fax.:     +45 86-159339
  DK-8210 Aarhus V