TITLE for TUNNELS AND TUNNELING? (3 messages) Stephen Clark 27 Feb 1998 22:11 UTC

3 messages

1)----------------------
From:         Wayne Jones <waynej@MIT.EDU>
Subject:      Re: TITLE for Tunels and Tunneling? (Stephen J. Katz)

serialists,

I, too, like it when serials don't change their titles -- well, I like it
when *some* change, otherwise I might be out of a job. However, I think that
criticizing publishers because they change the titles of their serials might
tend to make them care less rather than more about whether they conform to
practices which make life easier for serialists. I find that there's a
snarky, self-satisfied tone about this letter, which presumes that the
various rules and access mechanisms which serialists have set up for serials
are just fine (nothing wrong here, mister), and that the problem *must* be
with the publisher.

The publisher could perhaps quite justifiably ask why we have rules that
insist on making so many records.

Wayne Jones, Serials Cataloging, MIT Libraries, 14E-210A, (617) 253-4637,
waynej@mit.edu

2)------------------------
Date:         Fri, 27 Feb 1998 12:07:59 -0800
From:         Carol Morse <MorsCa@WWC.EDU>

Hurrah for Stephen Katz.  I have written a few such letters, and have
also complained by email when the publisher forgets or hides the vol. and issue nos.

Carol Morse                                    Phone: 509:527-2684
Serials Librarian                              Fax::  509) 527-2001
Walla Walla College Library            Email:  morsca@wwc.edu
204 S. College Ave.
College Place, WA  99324

Grant us strength for the journey and wisdom to know the way.

3)----------------------
Date:         Fri, 27 Feb 1998 16:33:59 -0500
From:         "Susan E. Sturgeon" <ssturgeo@SALEM.MASS.EDU>

And not only that, but you have shown that slightly obsessive people can
still have a sense of humor!

SUSAN STURGEON
SERIALS DEPARTMENT
SALEM STATE COLLEGE LIBRARY