Re: SERIALS TOOLS WAS: Re: Defining serials Mitch Turitz 10 Feb 1998 21:17 UTC

TO: The Editors of Serialst and Autocat:
  I thought this list of serials tools might be useful if you would please
post it.
-- Mitch

>Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 14:00:24 -0600 (CST)
>From: Theresa C Trawick <tsutct01@asnmail.asc.edu>
>To: Mitch Turitz <turitz@sfsu.edu>
>Subject: Re: SERIALS TOOLS WAS: Re: Defining serials

>Thanks a heap! for responding.  Also-I agree that others on the list might
>be interested.
>
>Theresa C. Trawick            "Finish each day and be done with it ...
>Electronic Services Libn.      You have done what you could;
>Troy State University,
>Troy, Al.  36082              Some blunders and absurdities no doubt
>tsutct01@asnmail.asc.edu               crept in
>(334) 670-3265                 Forget them as soon as you can
>fax (334) 670-3955             Tomorrow is a new day;
>                              You shall begin it well and serenely."
>                               --Ralph Waldo Emerson
>

>On Thu, 5 Feb 1998, Mitch Turitz wrote:
>
>> Teresa:
>>   Actually, this is a good question to post to the list.  I would like to
>> forward your question and my response to the list (I can XXX out your name
>> if you don't want to appear in it).  Any way, I would recommend:
>>
>> CONSER CATALOGING MANUAL (LC)
>>
>> CONSER EDITING GUIDE  (LC) *THE most important book to have for serials
>> cataloging in my opinion*
>>
>> SERIALS CATATALOGING HANDBOOK by Carol. L. H. Leong.  Chicago, American
>> Library Association, 1989.  ISBN 0-8389-0501-3
>>
>> NOTES FOR SERIALS CATALOGING by Nancy Thomas and Rosanna O'Neil. Littleton,
>> CO, Libraries Unlimited 1986 ISBN: 0-87287-535-0 (new edition about to come
>> out by Beverly Geer)
>>
>> And the following web sites (please excuse the HTML tagging - it was easier
>> for me to leave them in - as I just copied this out of my web page):

>> Cooperative Program for Serials Cataloging</dd>
>>
>> <dd><a href="http://lcweb.loc.gov/issn/">ISSN Home page (Library of
>> Congress)</a>: International Standard Serial Number</dd>
>>
>> <dd><a href="http://nasig.ils.unc.edu/nasigweb.html">NASIG - the North
>> American Serials Interest Group</a></dd>

>> Collections, Resources, and Services, by Birdie MacLennan</dd>
>>
>> <dd><a
>> href="http://www.library.vanderbilt.edu/ercelawn/serials.html">Tools
>> for Serials Catalogers</a>: A collection of userful sites and sources</dd>

>> sources:</i></h3>
>>
>> <dd><a href="http://206.102.94.200/tlc/crs/">Cataloger's Reference
>> Shelf</a> : USMARC format, code lists, and cataloging manuals for
>> catalogers</dd>
>>
>> <dd><a href="http://www.oclc.org/oclc/man/9256cat/toc.htm">Cataloging
>> Internet Resources</a> : A manual and practical guide, 2nd edition. Edited
>> by Nancy Olson </dd>

>> Internet Cataloging Project's Catalog of Internet Resources
>> </dd>
>>
>> <dd><a href="http://www.nlc-bnc.ca/jsc/index.htm">INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE
>> ON THE PRINCIPLES AND FUTURE DEVELOPMENT OF AACR</a> : recent conference
>> recommending changes to the Anglo-American Cataloging Rules - conference
> [...]

  _^_                                                 _^_
( ___ )-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-( ___ )
 |   |     Mitch Turitz, Serials Librarian           |   |
 |   |     San Francisco State University Library    |   |
 |   |     Internet: turitz@sfsu.edu                 |   |
 |   |     http://userwww.sfsu.edu/~turitz           |   |
   V                                                   V
           Rule #1: Don't sweat the small stuff.
           Rule #2: It's ALL small stuff.