Re: Donations policies for periodicals (4 messages) Birdie MacLennan 20 Feb 1998 23:26 UTC

4 messages, 96 lines:

(1)-------------------------
Date:         Fri, 20 Feb 1998 14:08:46 -0500
From:         Susan Zappen <szappen@SCOTT.SKIDMORE.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Donations policies for periodicals?

On Fri, 20 Feb 1998, K. Convery <converyk@BOGART.DOWLING.EDU> wrote:

> I am curious to know what policies other libraries have in place for
> accepting periodical donations.  What do you accept, and do you have a
> limit on how complete a volume or year you will take and add to the
> collection.  Sometimes we get scattered issues of a title.  What to do so
> as not to hurt the donors feelings if it doesn't meet the criteria? Thanks
> for all responses.

Kami,
We will only accept periodical issues which we need. We explain that the
library would have to pay for disposal of unwanted issues. Any money spent
on disposal costs would mean fewer dollars for the library to spend on
needed materials. I've not hurt any donor's feelings with that response.
You can further explain how selection of materials must match your
collection development policy to insure that you are meeting the needs of
your community.

          ********************
Susan H. Zappen
Head of Technical Services
Lucy Scribner Library
Skidmore College
Saratoga Springs NY 12866-1632

Phone: 518-580-5521
Fax:      518-580-5540
szappen@skidmore.edu
          ********************

(2)----------------------------
Date:         Fri, 20 Feb 1998 16:35:23 -0500
From:         "Susan E. Sturgeon" <ssturgeo@SALEM.MASS.EDU>

We first of all make it very clear that we reserve the right to discard
the journals if we do not need them or cannot find a home for them.  Then
we take them, add them if we want to and offer the rest of this wonderful
backserv service.  It's a lot of work, but we nearly always find a gem
among the .......!

SUSAN STURGEON
SERIALS DEPARTMENT
SALEM STATE COLLEGE LIBRARY
352 LAFAYETTE ST.
SALEM MA 01970
NEW E-mail address:susan.sturgeon@salem.mass.edu

(3)---------------------------
Date:         Fri, 20 Feb 1998 15:23:16 -0500
From:         Joan Meinhardt <jhmein@SIU.EDU>

At SIU Law Lib we are willing to accept most donations of periodicals, but
the donor is always informed that we will keep what we can use and dispose
of what we cannot.  Dispose can mean anything from recycle to forwarding to
the main library on campus if it is a title they can use.

    Joan Meinhardt <jhmein@SIU.EDU>

(4)--------------------------
Date:         Fri, 20 Feb 1998 13:10:56 CST
From:         Carrie Ferm <ALICF@AUGUSTANA.EDU>
Comments: To: "K. Convery" <converyk@BOGART.DOWLING.EDU>

Hello,

We accept almost all donations.  The donor is told that if we do not
need the issues/volumes in our library, we will first offer them to
Backserv and then dealers and if all else fails, disposed off.

If it is a really broken run of a title, I usually explain that we
really cannot use them and make alternative suggestions of disposal.

I would be interested in hearing what others do concerning this
situation.

Thanks,

     Carrie Ferm
     Periodical Section