Re: Binding quota (2 messages) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 09 Mar 1998 15:02 UTC

2 messages:

1)______

Date: Sat, 07 Mar 1998 07:05:31 -0500
From: Jack Etsweiler <jack@EMUNIX.EMICH.EDU>
Subject: Re: Binding quota (Anneli Lukka)

Anneli Lukka <LUKKA@LIB1.LAN.MCGILL.CA> asks:
> Subject: Binding quota
>
> Dear Fellow Serialists,
>
> Has anyone of you felt it necessary to suggest a binding quota as a
> goal or an action plan of a performance evaluation?
> How many journal volumes should an average binding assistant be able
> to send to the binders per month, week, day or hour?
> I would be grateful to hear of even any approximations!
>
> Thanking you in advance,
>
> Anneli Lukka
> LUKKA@lib1.lan.mcgill.ca

As the son of a McGill grad I'm glad to try to help with this one.

I have to assume that your contract with the bindery sets a minimum
monthly or semi-monthly quota.  At our medium-size library the bindery
assistant has to prepare a minimum of 100 serials items every two weeks.
This number does not include monographs or government documents.  The
computer, printer and software provided by the bindery simplifies and
expedites the bindery preparation process substantially.  The bindery prep
here is done by a single library assistant as one part of his duties.

If you are looking for production expectations, you might base them on
what your contract requires, factoring in whatever overruns your needs and
your budget might occasion.  Rebinding and repair/tipping-in are more
labo(u)r-intensive tasks and must also be factored into your expectations.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
Jack Etsweiler                                  Canto, ergo sum
University Library
Eastern Michigan University             "Time is not a renewable resource"
jack@emunix.emich.edu
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

2)_____

Date: Fri, 06 Mar 1998 18:00:02 -0500
From: Beverly Butler <bbutler@VMS1.CC.UOP.EDU>

Although we don't have a binding quota per se, my supervisor likes to see at
least 40 volumes of journals go out every two weeks.  She does not check on
specifics, but on boxes.  (Binding is only a small part of my job description).

Bev

Beverly Butler
McGeorge School of Law Library
3282 5th Avenue