Re: overuse injuries - personal (Anneli Lukka) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 19 Mar 1998 15:33 UTC

Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 10:17:55 +0000 (EST5EDT)
From: Anneli Lukka <LUKKA@LIB1.LAN.MCGILL.CA>
Subject: overuse injuries - personal

I got a bad case of tendinitis of the right elbow a few years ago
when I went to graduate school while working full-time.  It involved
pounding out a lot of papers besides working 8 hours at the computer
in the library and also carrying a daily load of heavy textbooks and
binders which in my opinion all contributed to the problem.

A small trick that was helpful for me was to type with the eraser-end
of a pencil between the right hand thumb and index finger.  It gave
much needed variation to all the typing. I also got a better chair
with an armrest.  Physical therapy, mainly ultrasound, was no help;
actually I got frustrated with it and abandoned it after a couple of
times.  The best help was a lighter and more varied workload and
normal use of the elbow (using it even it hurt).  I have been symptom-
free for years now, still working full-time and using a computer a
fair amount in the evenings, too.

Wishing all of you strong elbows,

Anneli
Anneli Lukka
Manager, Technical Services
McGill University Health Sciences Library
3655 Drummond
Montreal, QC  H3G 1Y6

Tel. (514) 989-7218 home        email: LUKKA@lib1.lan.mcgill.ca
           398-4475 ext. 0122          or  ADNP@musica.mcgill.ca