Re: Intentional delay of print (Steve Black) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 20 Mar 1998 18:16 UTC

Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 13:02:57 -0500
From: Steve Black <blacks@ROSNET.STROSE.EDU>
Subject: Re: Intentional delay of print (Judith Wilkerson)

**Editor's note: For information about Liblicense, a digital information
licensing resource for librarians, see:
http://www.library.yale.edu/~llicense/index.shtml

> Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 10:36:12 -0600
> From: Judith Wilkerson <jwilkers@REM.RE.UOKHSC.EDU>
> Subject: Intentional delay of print
>
>   Colleagues,
>
>   Has anyone noticed what might appear to be an intentional delay of print
>   subscriptions from publishers who are having difficulty selling expensive
>   and intrusive site licenses for electronic versions of journals?

Never attribute to conspiracy what can be explained by incompetence.

>   I would also like to see some discussion in this forum about the whole
>   business of unreasonable clauses in site licenses, such as giving
>   foreign governments jurisdiction over any disputes, etc.

May I very highly recommend the listserv discussion group
liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu.  Lurking there is a highly educational
experience, and there's been much informed discussion on your topic.  In
my opinion, it's tied with Marcia Tuttle's Newsletter on Serials
Pricing Issues as the most informative source in library literature today.

Steve Black
Reference, Serials and Instruction Librarian
Neil Hellman Library
The College of Saint Rose
Albany, NY  12203                                  "Cogito eggo sum"
blacks@rosnet.strose.edu                     (I think, therefore I waffle)