Fixed field usage (Jean Hirons) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 20 Mar 1998 20:24 UTC

Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 14:23:49 -0500
From: "Jean L. Hirons" <jhir@LOC.GOV>
Subject: Fixed field usage

Dear Colleagues,

A new document, Use of Fixed Fields 006/007/008 and Leader Codes in CONSER
Records, has just been added to the CONSER homepage.  This will be added to
the next update of the CONSER Editing Guide as a replacement for the section
Combining Fixed Fields in CONSER Records, currently in the Fixed Fields--General Information chapter.

The new section is much longer and attempts to explain how the fixed fields
interrelate and how they are coded in serial records, including the recent
change to Type of Record code m, and all as clearly as possible, which I've
decided is not an easy task!  I know that there is much confusion and I hope
that this explanation will help.

The new document can be found under the Serials Cataloging Issues
section at: http://lcweb.loc.gov/acq/conser/ffuse.html

Please let me know if there are further clarifications that can be made before
issuing it in the CEG.

Thanks.

Jean Hirons
CONSER Coordinator