Re: web access to e-journals Eliane Chaney 01 Apr 1998 17:30 UTC

Dear Diane,

This  type of access on our web pages is just being developped.
For the last year we use to keep an html list updated manually, but the
increase of e-journals and different updates, we found, made it more and
more difficult to maintain.

First, we catalogue in our library system, our e-journals separately from
the print version record, with a field containing the URL.
We also catalogue, when available, free of charge Tables of contents
for  both electronic and printed version records. These appear listed with
the electronic journals.

Several specific tags (URL, Media, TOC fields) in the catalogue,
permit different selections. Our system support has then written a
program which retrieves and lists these titles in an html format on the
web. You can see the result from:
http://wwwas.cern.ch/library/electronic_journals/ej.html

The idea is that the program will be run at regular intervals to update
the list.

The cataloguing remains on the serials librarian side while the program
will be run as a batch job by the system staff.

Eliane Chaney
Periodicals section
CERN Library
CH-1211 Geneva 23 Switzerland