newspaper selection policy for medium-large public library (Angie Mills) Marcia Tuttle 29 Apr 1998 23:19 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 14:56:08 -0600
From: Angie Mills <AMills@PUBLIB.EDMONTON.AB.CA>
Subject: newspaper selection policy for medium-large public library

Hello, I am working on a detailed, written selection policy for
newspapers in a med-large Canadian public library.  I'm having trouble
with "ethnic" publications in both English and other languages - these
are mainly published within North America.  We are constantly under
pressure to obtain more and more newspapers from various groups.  I
think that patrons often try to "bully" us  into accepting donations of
publications and these people are often very emotional.  Money isn't
really the issue since they are usually inexpensive (or free).  It's
more of a question of shelf space, fairness, and balance to the
collection.  Suggestions for selection criteria will be much
appreciated.  I would like to base decisions on more than just census
data.  Evaluations of these pubs is also difficult since they are not
likely to be reviewed or indexed and are often not in English.

Thanks in advance,

Angie Mills

email - amills@publib.edmonton.ab.ca