Re: cost analysis: binding vs. microform (Leigh Ann Kennison) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 13 Apr 1998 13:43 UTC

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 22:01:41 -0700
From: Leigh <lkennis@QADAS.COM>
Subject: Re: cost analysis: binding vs. microform

Hi!

Currently I am a student in the Emporia in the Rockies MLS program and
the class I am taking is collection development.  Our textbook is great,
and it devotes a whole chapter to serials (Chpt. 7).  In that chapter,
it gives lots of great advice re: serials--such as the one you've
posted.  The book is: Developing Library and Information Center
Collections (3rd edition) by G. Edward Evans.  It is published by
Libraries Unlimited, Englewood, CO (1995).

As far as your query, Evans states that much depends upon the space
limitations your library has, and that microform (in the long run) takes
less space, but weighs more (mainly due to the metal cabinets they are
stored in) and is more costly (i.e., upkeep of the viewer machines,
maintaining the subscribtion in microform format).  However, on the plus
side of microform, it is harder to "rip-out" pages and one doesn't have
those missing issues to replace (either because of age, loss, misuse).
On the positive side for binding the journals, you could look into the
price of collapsible shelving. However, old journals get moldy and
brittle as they age. The impression I get from Evans is that if
possible, and if you've the money to maintain it, go with microform.

Additionally, I have found several articles that discuss your concern,
many good ones I've come across are in two journals: _Serials Review_
and _The Serials Librarian_.  Anyway, I hope this information helps you!
 Good luck!
Leigh Ann Kennison  p.s.  I was wondering, how do you handle the rising
costs of scholarly journal subscriptions, when more and more libraries
are having to cut budgets?