UMI Proquest vs. InfoTrac (Betty Wampach) Stephen Clark 01 May 1998 18:00 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 12:25:02 +0000
From: Betty Wampach <bwampach@LIB.NAPERVILLE.IL.US>
Subject: UMI Proquest vs. InfoTrac

Hello,
I am the Serials Librarian for a large suburban public library west
of Chicago.  For years we have used the premium InfoTrac products on
CD-ROM, Magazine ASAP, General Business ASAP and Health Reference
Center with back-up cassettes for Magazine Index and are currently
using the Windows version.  Since we have recently geared up for the
Internet we have more choices now and our local school system is
adopting UMI Proquest.  I like UMI's inclusion of newspapers like The
Chicago Tribune and the Daily Herald, but am concerned that it is
organized differently than InfoTrac and may appear more complicated
to new users or those who lack much computer experience.  Would any
of you have experience in changing from one to the other and can
describe the consequences?  Thanks!
Betty Wampach, Reference/Periodicals Librarian
Naperville Public Libraries
200 West Jefferson Avenue
Naperville, IL 60540