New Periodical Librarian ... (2 messages) Marcia Tuttle 28 May 1998 16:45 UTC

-----(1)

Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 09:45:59 -0400
From: Mary Page <mspage@RCI.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Re: SERIALST Digest - 26 May 1998 to 27 May 1998

At Rutgers, we also use Ebsco for part of our periodicals list. In my
experience, and in talking with other Ebsco clients, the quality of service
depends on which regional office you use.  Our regional office, in Shrewsbury,
NJ, has been very good to us.  I urge potential Ebsco customers to talk to
clients of the regional office you are considering.

Mary Page

--
Mary Page
mspage@rci.rutgers.edu

-----(2)

Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 08:30:26 -0700
From: Donna Packer <d3737@CC.WWU.EDU>
Subject: Re: New Periodical Librarian... (6 messages)

I have been following this discussion with some interest.  One might think
Ebsco and Faxon are the only two serials vendors operating.  We need to
consider not only the quality of service, but what we are paying for
it.

The librarian who originally posed the question might also want to
consider Blackwell Information Services. Their North American serials arm
was called, until recently, Readmore.  Blackwell's can handle serials
world wide, and is in the process of integrating their New Jersey and
Oxford serials operations.  Cost of service has been consistently low,
compared to what others used to charge us, and quality of serice, for us,
at least, has been high.  I also recommend Harrassowitz for European
titles: they are excellent to work with, have done a superb job for us
over the years sorting out some of those intricate, multi-part European
series, and keep excellent records.

We do the bulk of our subscription orders through these two (formerly
three)  vendors, and I have never regretted making the change to them
several years ago.  The benefits have included: service reps who handle
the routine problems stay on the job and get to know us very well, and the
high level of understanding of how libraries, and the serials world,
operate, that is demonstrated through the representatives who call on us
from time to time.

                                - Donna Packer
                                  Western Washington University Libraries
                                  Belllingham, WA 98225