Consolidation Services (Stephen Lacey) Marcia Tuttle 28 May 1998 23:02 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 08:38:19 +1000
From: Stephen Lacey <slacey@NLA.GOV.AU>
Subject: Consolidation Services (Barbara Rauch)

In answer to a question from Barbara Rauch, Auckland Institute of
Technology, on SERIALST, your choices are many and varied.

I will very briefly describe the process we followed:

Firstly you need to ascertain what you expect to obtain from a consolidation
service.  The National Library was looking at improving the time of receipt
of foreign titles and to improve claiming (which had become nearly
non-existent) in the short term and in the long term, electronic interfaces
for ordering, invoicing etc.

We have always used several serials vendors throughout the world so we
initially sought information from our larger and more reputable suppliers
regarding the services they could offer.  This was done mainly because their
customer services were already proven.

Initially, we selected approximately 100 titles from each supplier (each
title already being supplied under normal arrangements by that supplier).
Titles that were displayed to the public or were required promptly for
circulation purposes were selected.  We also ensured titles with a wide
range of frequencies were selected.

We asked the vendors to provide a costing based on:

        Subscription cost (Domestic rate if possible)
        Consolidation Service Charges per issue
        Freight Costs

The domestic rate was important  to us as we thought that any savings made
here could help absord some of the extra service charges.  This is another
reason why we maintained our policy of using vendors in the country of
origin.

Also ask the vendor what reports can be provided; ie claim reports,
shipping/packing reports etc. which will help you to assess their services.

I could go on and on but as I said, this reply is  very brief.  If you would
like to know more details, may I refer you to an article my colleague
Jasmine Cameron and I wrote which appeared in the UK publication SERIALS
(ISSN 0953-0460), Vol.10 no.1 March 1997.

Regards and best of luck for anyone embarking on this endeavour.

Stephen Lacey
Manager, Serial Orders
National Library of Australia
Tel: +61 (02) 6262 1321