Re: bib records for electronic resources (Mitch Turitz) Marcia Tuttle 18 May 1998 19:59 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 12:14:09 +0100
From: Mitch Turitz <turitz@SFSU.EDU>
Subject: Re: bib records for electronic resources

Folks:
  Thanks very much to all who responded to my query last month on
cataloging electronic resources (i.e. separate bibliographic records for
each title contained within the electronic resource).  Several people asked
me to post the responses.  However, due to the inconsistency of answers
(and I did not make this a formal survey designed as such), I cannnot make
a scientific analysis of the data. I did feel, however, that this
information may still be useful, so here is a summary:

  Of the 14 responses I received, the most popular electronic resource for
which individual cataloging records were made is PROJECT MUSE (9 responses
= 64%).  Reason cited most often was due to the small size of the database.

  Other databases cataloged that were mentioned included: IDEAL (3=21%);
JSTOR (3=21%); IOP (Institute of Physics) (2=14%); SPRINGER LINK (1=7%);
OCLC FIRSTSEARCH (1=7%); ETHNIC NEWSWATCH (1=7%); and *some* selected
titles from LEXIS/NEXIS (1=7%) (due to overlap will not add up to 100%)

  Other than the one library that was cataloging selected titles in
LEXIS/NEXIS, there was no indication of any other library attempting to
catalog the titles in L/N.

  4 libraries specifically mentioned using one bibliographic record for
both the paper and electronic versions.

  One library is using the paper version record, even if they only have the
electronic version (but adding the details - 538/856, etc.).

  2 libraries reported using separate bib. records for the electronic
version, even if they had a bib. record for the paper version.

  One lirary reported using a separate electronic bib record if they only
have the electronic version.

  2 libraries reported using stripped-down brief records (e.g. title; ISSN;
780/785) only for these "analytics"

  One library reported they have also incorporated their electronic
periodicals into their in-house periodicals list (on their web site).

  Below is the URL for U. of Rochester's guidelines for cataloging
electronic resources.  The best in-house guidelines I've seen (so far).
Posted with Frank Sadowski's permission:
http://www.lib.rochester.edu/cat/catguide.htm
  Also check out Nancy Olson's Cataloging Internet resources:
http://www.oclc.org/oclc/man/9256cat/toc.htm
  And, the USMARC home page:
http://lcweb.loc.gov/marc/
  And CONSER's serials issues web page:
http://lcweb.loc.gov/acq/conser/issues.html
  Serials in Cyberspace - a collection of very useful links by Birdie
MacLennan:
http://www.uvm.edu/~bmaclenn/
  OCLC's Internet Cataloging Project (InterCat - searchable via the web):
http://www.oclc.org/oclc/man/catproj/catcall.htm

  I hope you find this information useful.  If any of you have additional
information, please post them to Serialst and/or Autocat so that it can
shared with as many people as possible.

  Again, thanks to everyone who responded to my original query, and thanks
to all of you who contribute your electronic resource cataloging to OCLC so
that we can share it.

  Mitch Turitz

  _^_                                                 _^_
( ___ )-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-( ___ )
 |   |     Mitch Turitz, Serials Librarian           |   |
 |   |     San Francisco State University Library    |   |
 |   |     Internet: turitz@sfsu.edu                 |   |
 |   |     http://userwww.sfsu.edu/~turitz           |   |
   V                                                   V
           Rule #1: Don't sweat the small stuff.
           Rule #2: It's ALL small stuff.