Re: MOTOR AGE, CHILTON'S MOTOR AGE, CAHNER'S MOTOR AGE???? Jan Lahmeyer 30 Jun 1998 06:17 UTC

Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 08:15:20 +0000
From: "Jan Lahmeyer" <J.Lahmeyer@library.uu.nl>
Subject: Re: MOTOR AGE, CHILTON'S MOTOR AGE, CAHNER'S MOTOR AGE????

Karen Chobot <chobot@PLAINS.NODAK.EDU> wrote:
> As another MOTOR AGE subscriber, who is driven nuts by the various Chilton's
> titles and their many permutations, I also would appreciate hearing replies
> to the list.  thanks much.
>
> Karen M. Chobot, Reference Librarian
> Mildred Johnson Library
> North Dakota State College of Science
> 800 6th St. N.
> Wahpeton ND 58076
> 701/671-2385
>
> "I know, my dear Watson, that you share my love of all that is bizarre and
> outside the conventions and humdrum routine of daily life."  Sherlock
> Holmes, in "The Red-Headed League."
>

> At 01:20 PM 6/24/98 -0500, Janie Branham wrote:
> >How are other libraries handling the title MOTOR AGE?   We previously
> >cataloged and shelved the title as CHILTON'S MOTOR AGE.  During 1997,
> >CHILTON'S was apparently removed from the title, leaving only MOTOR
> >AGE.   Now, issues carry CAHNER'S MOTOR AGE.    The ISSN appears
> >to have stayed the same throughout all variations of the title.
> >
> >Please respond directly to me and not to the list.
> >        [editor's note: Responses to SERIALST are also welcome.  -bml]
> >
> >Thank you.
> >
> >Janie Branham
> >Serials Librarian
> >Sims Memorial Library
> >Southeastern Louisiana University
> >SLU 896
> >Hammond, LA  70402
> >(504) 549-2186
> ><jbranham@SELU.EDU>

Some remarks:

Generally speaking: most publishers do not care a bit about
cataloguing problems of librarians. The publishers are more
concerned about a commercial lay-out and about selling their
publications than about consistency (of serials). But without
title-changes in serials at all, what kind of a job is left there
for acquisition and cataloguing departments?

Moreover I do think that most publishers do not know the meaning
of an ISSN and the possible changes of this unique number (if
necessary) when the title of a serial publication has changed.

*  Jan J. Lahmeyer -  EML: seriecat@library.uu.nl
*  Unit Serial Publications - Cataloguing Section -
*  Dept. Cataloguing & Acquisition - Central Library Service
*  UNIVERSITY  LIBRARY  UTRECHT -  P.O. Box  16007 , NL - 3500  DA   UTRECHT
*  Voice Phone +31 (0)302536573 -  Fax +31 (0)302539292