a question from a new journal publisher (Cathleen Tetro) Stephen Clark 03 Jun 1998 12:30 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 15:53:32 -0400
From: Cathleen Tetro <Cathleen.Tetro@HARPERCOLLINS.COM>
Subject: a question from a new journal publisher

     My company will launch a new journal this year. We plan to distribute
     the inaugural issue in September to a list of about 20,000 names. They
     are members of sponsoring organizations, associations, etc., as a free
     special issue. It's basically a sample issue mailing; none will go to
     libraries, just individuals. However, we are offering an institutional
     subscription rate for libraries, and that is one of the most critical
     markets for this journals. Libraries will redceive a promotional
     brochure this fall to solicit subscriptions.

     My question is about the volume and number for this special,
     inaugural, giveaway issue. Can we call it Vol. 1 No. 1, and call 1999
     issues Vol. 2, No. 1,2,3, & 4? Or, does this special giveaway issue
     need a volume and issue number at all? Do we start Vol. 1 No. 1 with
     the first issue of 1999?

     This is all very new to me, so I hope you can help with this question.

     Thanks so much.