giveaway issue (Linda L. Rosenstein) Stephen Clark 03 Jun 1998 18:32 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 08:48:41 -0400
From: "Linda L. Rosenstein" <rosenstl@MAIL.MED.UPENN.EDU>
Subject: giveaway issue

 My question is about the volume and number for this special,
     inaugural, giveaway issue. Can we call it Vol. 1 No. 1, and call 1999
     issues Vol. 2, No. 1,2,3, & 4? Or, does this special giveaway issue
     need a volume and issue number at all? Do we start Vol. 1 No. 1 with
     the first issue of 1999?

What is MOST important is that the numbering be absolutely clear. If
v.1:no.1 is the complete v.1, say so: "This issue completes v.1."

Yes, you need to number it.  If there is anything worthwhile inside that
issue, people will want to cite it and obtain copies. They need some way of
identifying the piece.

I have had experience with similar situations. Frequently, the publisher
will have lots of giveaway issues. When the library is ready to buy, that
one issue is no longer available. If that first issue is going to have a
special distribution as you describe, please do not make the second issue
v.1:no.2.  Since v.1:no.1 will be difficult to obtain, it is a real drag to
have an incomplete volume on the shelf.

Linda L. Rosenstein                             rosenstl@mail.med.upenn.edu
Associate Director for Information Resources    phone: (215) 898-4445
Biomedical Library, University of Pennsylvania  fax: (215) 573-2075