Re: a question from a new journal publisher (Regina Reynolds) Stephen Clark 04 Jun 1998 14:29 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 15:21:49 -0400
From: Regina Reynolds <rrey@LOC.GOV>
Subject: Re: a question from a new journal publisher (Michael Borries)

Cathleen,

Perhaps knowing the consequences of the different options might help you
make this decision.  For cataloging purposes, issues preceding Vol. 1,
no 1. are not considered appropriate for the creation of a catalog record
(other than a prepublication record created in conjunction with the
assignment of an International Standard Serial Number).  Therefore if you
wish to have your first issue cataloged and included in what a library
might consider its run of issues, it would be better to number it Vol. 1,
no. 1.  But you should be prepared, then, for library subscriptions to
include that issue since otherwise they will have a gap in their
"holdings."  If, on the other hand, the issue will be definitely a
preliminary one, one that is not intended to be part of what a library
will be collecting, then it might be better to just call it a "preview"
issue.  However, the use of "preview" or "premiere" is confusing to
libraries because some publishers number the next issue Vol. 1, no. 2 and
others Vol. 1, no. 1 so a library cannot tell whether to use that preview
issue for cataloging or not until the next issue is published.  A clearer
option is to call the preview issue, Vol. 0, no 1.  Such an issue still
won't be used for cataloging but it is more clearly identifiable as
preliminary issue and will be noted in a catalog record as such.

I hope you will be applying for a prepublication ISSN.  If so, please feel
free to contact me if you have further questions since NSDP often deals
with these kinds of preliminary numbering questions.

Regina R. Reynolds
Head, National Serials Data Program
Library of Congress
(202) 707-6379