Re: a question from a new journal publisher (Judith Hopkins) Stephen Clark 04 Jun 1998 14:31 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 22:19:28 -0400
From: Judith Hopkins <ulcjh@ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU>
Subject: Re: a question from a new journal publisher (Michael Borries)

I am not a serial cataloger (or a serialst in any form) but I would like
to register my preference.  On the whole I agree with Michael Borries
but believe that the inaugural issue SHOULD be numbered, if only to make
it easier to record in the checkin systems of those libraries that do
obtain a copy.     And also for ease of future citation.   As for what
that numbering should be, how about  v. 0, no.1?  Or is that against all
serials canons?   If not, then I vote for v.1, no.1 with a very clear
statement that this is the only issue for volume 1.   Or make it a
combined issue:  v. 0 (or v.1), issues 1-4 (assuming a quarterly
publication).  No-one will then be tempted to claim a non-existent
later issue.     The first regular volume should start with its own
volume numbering, either v.1, no.1 or v.2, no.2, depending on how the
inaugural issue was numbered.

Judith Hopkins                          Phone:  716 645-2796
Central Technical Services              FAX:    716 645-5955
University at Buffalo                   E-mail: ulcjh@acsu.buffalo.edu
Buffalo, NY  14260-2200             http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~ulcjh
        Listowner of AUTOCAT@LISTSERV.ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU
    (http://ublib.buffalo.edu/libraries/units/cts/autocat)

    The views expressed are my own and not those of UB or its Libraries