Re: Microfilm Splicing (Bob Gimmi) Stephen Clark 04 Jun 1998 16:09 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 12:02:32 -0400
From: Bob Gimmi <rdg@ARK.SHIP.EDU>
Subject: Re: Microfilm Splicing (C.D. Thompson)

Hello,
  We have been splicing reels of microfilm for more than 30 years and
considerable shelving space has been saved. It certainly is a worthwhile
project.

  We use pre-cut splicing tape from Hudson Photographic Industries. It is
supplied in rolls of 100 and 1600 pieces for 35 mm film. Our periodical
assistant goes through the microfilm collection at least once a year
looking for reels to be spliced. The actual splicing is done by students.

  To make the splicing easy and neat we have two reel winders mounted on a
wooden board measuring 1 x 3 feet, with a splicing block mounted between
the winders. The splicing block makes precise cuts and alignments. Most of
the leader is removed from all but the first reel of film being spliced.
Foil-backed labels seem to work the best for relabeling the box containing
the cumulation. We have found other types tend to fall off over time.

Perhaps obvious, but remember:

1. Splice in chronological order
2. Keep the image orientation the same from reel-to-reel

Please contact me if you have questions.

Robert D. Gimmi/Lehman Library/Shippensburg University/Shippensburg PA 17257
rdg@ship.edu (e-mail)         717.532.1475 (voice)        717.532.1389 (fax)