World development indicators (Paula Coulthard) Stephen Clark 04 Jun 1998 18:16 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 11:23:35 -0500
From: Paula.Coulthard@UNI.EDU
Subject: World development indicators

We have just received the 1998 edition of World Development Indicators.
This is the first issue cataloged by this library.  The OCLC cataloging
(#4227337) indicates this title began in 1978, however, the preface
(p.vii) states: "Now in its second year, the World Development Indicators
continues to evolve."

The other thing about the OCLC record that confuses me is that although
there is a 362 1 Began in 1978, there is also a note: 500  Description
based on: 1997.  So do I have a title which began in 1978, or 1997?  I am
just guessing, but perhaps the title began in 1978 but underwent
significant changes in 1997.  Since the actual title did not change and
the designation of the piece is chronological (so the numbering did not
begin anew) no new OCLC record was created.  Is it correct to have the 500
note Description based on 1997?  If anyone has a run of this title and can
enlighten me, I would certainly appreciate it.

Paula Coulthard                         email: paula.coulthard@uni.edu
Cataloging Dept                         phone: (319)273-2781
Rod Library, UNI
Cedar Falls, IA  50613