ALA Discussion Group Announcement (Karen Davis) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 10 Jun 1998 19:04 UTC

Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 15:02:07 -0400
From: Karen Davis <libkjd@PANTHER.GSU.EDU>
Subject: ALA Discussion Group Announcement

** This message has been posted to multiple lists;  please excuse any
duplication. **

LITA/ALCTS Retrospective Conversion Discussion Group

June 28, 1998
9:30am-11:00am
Washington Convention Center
Room 8

Retrospective Conversion of Non-Print Materials

Please join us for an informal discussion of the retrospective
conversion
of non-print materials.  We will be discussing what the questions are
facing libraries preparing for, or performing non-book retrospective
conversion.

Possible questions for discussion:

What is a good source from which to obtain records?
What is the quality of records?
What will we except?  What will we not except?
Which type of conversion is most effective?  Online?  Batch loading?
What other alternatives are there and how do we prepare?

These are the questions many libraries are pondering concerning the
conversion of their non-print materials.  Please attend our meeting to
hear ideas from those who have struggled with all of this and survived,
and please, bring your questions and suggestions to help all who might
attend.

An election for 2 Vice-Chair/Chair-Elects (one for LITA and one for
ALCTS)
will take place at the end of the meeting.  Nominations may be sent to
Karen Davis
or Kathy Allen at the email addresses listed below. Nominations will
also be taken
from the floor.  Nominees must be able to attend ALA conferences over
the next two years.

Suggested topics for future discussion group meetings would be welcome.

Karen Davis (ALCTS Co-Chair)
Head, Monograph Catalog Unit
Wm. Russell Pullen Library
Georgia State University