Storage Facility (Robert Schlabach) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 12 Jun 1998 20:02 UTC

Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 15:43:37 -0400
From: Robert Schlabach <schlabac@TCNJ.EDU>
Subject: Storage facility

***Please respond directly to Philip Tramdack (tramdack@tcnj.edu)
not to SERIALST. Thanks -- Ed.
____

Im fowarding this message from my boss, hoping to draw upon the
collective knowledge and experience of all Serialist-ists. Our Associate
Dean would be most grateful for any responses about inventory control of
serials in remote storage.
-Robert Schlabach
 Library Business Manager
 The College of New Jersey
On Campus Storage Facility Query

We are in the process of planning an on-campus storage facility for books
and periodicals. I am interested in hearing from anyone who is starting up
or running a small storage facility to learn about procedures you follow to
control materials going to and from the facility. We have an old NOTIS
system and will probably move off it in the next 2-3 years. For that reason,
I hesitate to run the entire operation off NOTIS, although this would be
straightforward. I would like to be able to attach a serial number to each
item stored, and to shelve the materials in serial number order, rather
than by call number. I would like to link the serial number to the item
bar code with a simple, stand-alone system that requires minimum
keyboarding, etc. I am also interested in hearing how people control
periodical back runs in storage.  Please respond to me, Philip Tramdack.
My mail is tramdack@tcnj.edu. Thank you in advance for your help. PJT

Philip J. Tramdack
Associate Dean
Roscoe L. West Library